General Rules For Overhead Gantry Crane Operators
General Operator Shall and Shall Not’s:
- SHALL know hand signals used for hoist and crane operations, if a signal person is used in the operation, and accept signals from only persons authorized to give hand signals; except SHALL obey a stop signal regardless of who gives it.
- SHALL NOT adjust or repair a crane or hoist unless qualified and authorized to perform such maintenance.
- SHALL NOT use a hoist lead limiting device as a means to measure the load.
- SHALL exercise common sense procedures which are derived from experience, knowledge, and training.
General Operator Do Not’s:
- DO NOT operate a crane and hoist that is damaged or has any actual or suspected mechanical or electrical malfunction.
- DO NOT attempt to lengthen or repair damaged wire rope.
- DO NOT use the wire rope, any part of the crane, hoist, load block or hook as a ground for welding.
- DO NOT allow a welding electrode to be touched to the wire rope.
- DO NOT remove or obscure any warnings or warning labels on the crane or hoist.
- DO NOT walk under a suspended load or allow any other personnel to walk under a suspended load.
- DO NOT perform or allow any personnel to perform ANY work on a suspended load that requires that worker to be positioned under the suspended load.